Tuesday 31/05/05

My only activity of the day took place in the evening, when I went across to Shawbost to listen to the corncrake. Bus left at 7.30 pm, but it managed to leave town 10 minutes late. Changed into another minibus at Barvas to head into Shawbost. This was full of teenagers in Shawbost School uniforms. The driver dropped me off in the wrong part of the village, Carnan Park instead of South Shawbost. Had to walk across from the Fibhig end to South Shawbost and the cross street to Loch a'Bhaile. As I went down the last street, I noticed a group of 15 people, some with telescopes. Heard two corncrakes and 2 folks actually saw the birds concerned. Also saw a diver and a mallard flying past. Very nice and peaceful, although when we left at 9.30, it did get a little nippy. Got a lift back to town with some tourists and had a pleasant journey back.

No comments: