Friday 15/07/05

Appear for breakfast at 11.30, much the worst for wear. Pop into town after Alison and her dad leave for home at 1pm. It's very busy in town, busier than I've ever seen it in the 8 months that I've been in the island. This evening, I'm going to a concert by Runrig in the Castle Grounds. The Peatbog Faeries are the supporting act. Mrs B cooks my food. Concert starts at 9. The Peatbog Faeries are disappointing, they should drop the blaring brass section. Safety messages appear on the screens either side of the stage. E.g., someone is wanted in the First Aid tent at once. The Faeries bog off at 10.15. It takes more than half an hour for the stage to be rearranged for Runrig, which makes the crowd restive. They go wild when they do arrive, starting with their song Morning Tide. Nice song, good supporting video. Although mobiles should be switched off, there is a forest of camera phones being held high. Even a video camera is spotted. Noise is quite high, but bearable. Runrig finish with their rendition of Loch Lomond, known by all. At 1 o'clock, we all file out and troop down the narrow road to the Bayhead bridge, into town. A few pubs are open, but I give them the go-by. A drunken woman shouts after me, but I ignore her. Return to Newton at 1.20, and continue with some sort of ceilidh until 2.45

No comments: