Wednesday 13/07/05

Following a late start, I go into town where things are starting to liven up. After my stint on the library computer, I come across a little piece of street theatre, performed by local artists. It depicts the choices forced on islanders in the 19th and 20th centuries. After that, I cross to the Castle Grounds, where this week's concerts are to be staged. They are to take place in a large, blue marquee. A security fence has been erected to keep out all those without valid tickets. Tickets which consist of a wristband. Have a drink on a seat at Cuddy Point, where some kids are packing up following a canoeing expedition. I climb up the hill behind Cuddy Point to have a close look at the refurbished Matheson Memorial. Make my way to nearby Lews Castle, where the portaloos are positioned. Return to town via the usual route. Last night, I was drawn into a pubcrawl, which I cut short after 2 pubs and 2 half-pints. The other two returned outrageously drunk, which did nothing to improve the atmosphere in the house.

No comments: