Saturday 16/07/05

After a late start, the others head off to Harris. I stay in town, as I have a lot to do. Start with a stint on the library computer, for which there is a heavy demand. I also buy a copy of the new Harry Potter book. Inititally I would have bought it at the Baltic for £12.99, but Woolies have it on sale for £8.99. Also bought qa small present for Mrs B's birthday tomorrow. Dropped everything off at Newton, where I also noticed that my boots are literally falling apart at the seams. So, back into town for a new pair, which I (luckily) found in Sportsworld. Had to do it all myself, level of service in there precisely zero. Was handed the bootsbox wrapped in a binliner. The lifeboat had an open day, so I went to its berth on Cromwell Street Quay. As I walked about on deck, a rgrey seal popped out of the harbour. Had a chat with the coxswain about the area that the boat covers, recent callouts etc. Saving lives is priority 1, saving abandoned vessels priority next. The last occasion they actually saved lives was in December '04, when a boat ran onto the rocks at Arnish and sank. Unfortunately, the skipper died. It seems the fishing boat had been left to leave the harbour on autopilot, whilst the crew were 'plotting a course' down below, with nobody above deck. The autopilot went wrong, and the boat crashed onto the rocks. At 3 pm, I went to the Lewis Games. There was a free shuttlebus to the playing fields at Tong, 4 miles outside SY. Very busy there. A lot of stalls selling various wares, varying from crafts to food. Three different bouncy castles dotted the area. A central arena had been cleared for the typical games, like tossing the caber, throwing a weight over a bar 12 ft above ground and lifting the stones. Actors staged a 10 minute play about the Stornoway cornmill. A man performed a 'one-man-and-his-dog' act with ducks, instead of sheep. I was not amused, it was faintly cruel. Left for town at 4.45. The afternoon turned nice and sunny later on. The rest of the day turns into yet another ceilidh, one that finishes at the slightly more decent time of 1 a.m..

No comments: