Thursday 05/05/05

Today the UK General Elections take place, and the candidates are out trying to curry favour. They do so by offering voters lifts to the polling stations, or by stating that they have the Word of the Lord. This from the Operation Christian Vote leader, the Reverend Hargreaves. And that’s illegal, my dear chap. But who am I to tell him off in the middle of Kenneth Street. He stands to get sued by the Labour Party candidate, for slander. I spend the morning around town, shopping, then go to Achmore on the bus. Election talk continues on board between driver and passenger. Alight at Achmore at 1.05, and I climb up Èitsal via the access road to the radio transmitter. Very nice view from the summit: includes Loch Ganvich, Loch Trealabhal and Ròineabhal. I descend the hill along its northern slopes, but once at the bottom a shower starts. With visibility restricted, I plod on north (I hope), through some atrociously wet terrain. Continue up and down ridges, and resist the temptation to head straight for the Bennadrove relay mast. I need a boat if I want to go that way. Instead, I go towards Stacaiseal and the Barvas Hills. The sun comes out, warming me up, but it’s not warm. Have to cross 2 small rivers; they’re not wide, but they are in spate. After a difficult traverse of the moor, I finally gain the Pentland Road at the 2nd bridge, 6½ miles west of Stornoway, at 2.55 pm. Twenty minutes later, after taking some pictures, I set forth as the rain starts again. Reach the Achmore junction at 3.55. They’ve been cutting peat further along. Hear the cuckoo in a little pine forest. Discover a nice loch, looking out towards Gallows Hill in the Castle Grounds. And that sheep’s carcass is still lying by that cattle grid, where it has been lying since at least April 11th. Disgusting. In the Castle Grounds, everything is green, leaves on the trees, and green trailers covering the ground under the trees. Return to town at 5pm. Bart the Dutchman had a nice day up in Ness. End the day by watching the coverage of the election results on BBC. The Western Isles have voted out Labour and returned an SNP man. My landlady, ardent Labour supporter, is well displeased.

No comments: