Tuesday 15/02/05

Jumped on the 12.30 Harris bus to go to Balallan. The driver thought I was going to Kershader, but that era is over. Arrived in Balallan at 1pm, and took myself into the moors. Follow the track round to Loch Ibheir. It was tricky, as this area (grid references NB264210 to NB261219) is properly boggy, wet and slippery underfoot. Managed to get round to an outcrop by the latter G.R. to have lunch at 13.45. The weather today is cold and tending to showers. Work my way west towards Roineabhal through a maze of moorland and outcrops to NB249218, which is at altitude 110 m. It offers a nice viewpoint over Loch Trealabhal and its northern extensions all the way to the Uig road, 6 miles away. Impossible to traverse, due to various streams, rivers and other obstacles. After a wee break I head south, parallel to Loch an Sgath, then east towards Loch an Tomain. Ground underfoot is absolutely sodden. Sit on a hillock overlooking the loch until 16.15, when it really is time to head for the busstop. My friend from Balallan Westend (I now know she’s called Sally) is on board and we chat until Laxay, when she’s joined by other friends.

No comments: