Tuesday 22/03/05

Today is very mild. Jump on the 12.45 bus to Dun Carloway with David at the wheel. Walk past the Broch at 13.30, with the visitor center still closed. Walk down the street of Dun Carloway and can see men at work on the moor, gathering up sheep for lambing. I do not want to interfere with their work, so I choose a route from the roadend behind Loch an Dùin that avoids the relevant section of moor. I trudge my way upto and past Loch Thonagro. On the far side, a man is lifting a sheep bodily off the ground, but then leaves it behind. It’s dead. On my side of the water, I find another carcass. Not pleasant. Veer slightly south southeast on seeing Loch Chulain, to reach the Shader end of Tolsta a’Chaolais [Tolstachaolais]. Nice views over the northend of Bernera to the islands off its northern tip. Have some trouble with the fencing (again) and have a scare when a dog starts to bark madly at me when I materialize from behind the PO. Walk down the village main road to Loch a’Bhaile [village loch]. Then I start my cross country jaunt towards Breascleit. A stream cascades down from the hill, but I can cross it – very close to the sea. A watermill used to stand there, if the finding of a grindstone is any indication of one. It’s quite warm today, about 16C. In the sun it’s even warmer. When I am finally forced to the road, there is a brief spell of rain. Spend the next 1¼ hour along the road to Calanish. Things of note: 2 live lambs (yeah!) with a very excited flock of sheep. A stone circle on the Breascleit / Calanish border. Hear more lambs at Calanish, but do not see them. Go to the Standing Stones, where the visitor center is as yet closed till Wednesday. Return to SY at 5.10. Passanger enquires where he (that’s me, the woman thumbs at me) usually gets on and off. How rude. German guests have arrived at mrs B’s B&B.

No comments: